Pages

Thursday 25 October 2018

Informal to Formal Language

Transactional Writing
Informal to Formal Language

The following statements are written very informally. Your task is to rewrite the following sentences using your formal language skills. Some sentences you may find in a letter of complaint, some you would not. When you have finished highlight the sentences which are most relevant to a formal letter of complaint.

  • Your service sucked!
Your Service was very unhelpful
  • The waiter smelled
The waiter had bad hygiene
  • The decor is so last year
The decoration was an old design
  • Give me my money back
Could I please have a refund
  • I’m gunna get you
I am going to get you
  • Gimme a call
Please Contact me
  • I expect an answer, NOW!
I need an answer as soon as possible
  • He said that the waiter said that the cook had told him that…

  • You don’t even have Coke for sale!
I believe you don’t have coke for sale
  • He didn’t even wash his hands!
He didn’t wash his hands
  • His moustache looked like a dead mouse stuck on his face!
His moustache looked very unpleasant on his face
  • Some deodorant wouldn’t go amiss
He had a bad hygiene
  • It took forever to arrive
It took a very long time to arrive
  • I don’t even like Brussels sprouts anyways!
I don’t prefer Brussel sprouts
  • I told him to take it back.
I asked him to take it back
  • His clothes were all scruffy. They must have been picked up from the floor
His clothes were very unpleasant
  • He was hairy, just like Sasquatch!
He had a lot of hairy it was not nice
  • How many times do I have to tell you?
How many time do I have to informal you
  • It’s not fair!
It was not fair
  • Well, I think not!
Well I believe not
  • You going to give me my money back or not?
Are you going to give me my refund back
  • You should really invest in some BAM! to clean up the mess on the table
Are you guys able to clean up the tables
  • If I was the food inspector I would give you a big fat “F”
If I was the food inspector would get a very bad rate
  • So there

  • You’d better do what I say or else

You should so what I say or else

For the last two weeks we have been learning Informal and Formal in reading. For this task we needed to change the black sentence that were Informal to Formal. The Blue Sentence that are underneath the black sentences. The Sentences were based on a complaint to a restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment