Pages

Monday 16 December 2019

Day One/Activity 2: Discovering Aotearoa


For this activity we need to think about our own experiences and our own cultural background. I have created a DLO to share about my culture.The stars on the Samoan flag represent the Southern Stars that were followed by the ancestors of the Pacific people to the island of Samoa. February 24, 1949 was the date the Samoan flag became official.For the dancese men and boys are topless and have a lavalava with a stringy strap around their legs. For the Girls if they are doing a siva nafi they wear a fala and they have a crown which has mirrors on which is shaped like circle. They girls are also covered in oil to make them look shiny and to stick money on when people give money the also have a necklace and have C shapes on their face. For the girls doing a normal dance they were a Lavalava a matching top and also have the c shape on their Face.Samoa is a group of nine islands in the South Pacific Ocean. Samoa is known for its beautiful scenery. There are many native Samoans whose ancestors arrived in Samoa by boat. I come from the beautiful island of Apia.

2 comments:

  1. Tālofa lava Angela,
    I found the information and facts you write very interesting! I had no idea that Samoa was actually a group of islands, I always thought it was just one so thank you for teaching me that fact! In Tongan culture, girls also cover themselves in oil to look shiny and so people can stick money on them easier too, so that is something our culture has in common!

    On your blog, maybe try to share your blog posts in a creative way (poster, infographic etc)’ and by adding some bright colours or a few pictures of the food items to your blog post I think it would really catch people’s attention.

    Malo,
    Mani :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angela! This was a great start to the programme, I hope you'll be continuing your Learning Journey over the holidays as well. I can tell you know a lot about your culture and background, especially the tradition. I love how you include some really interesting information like the Samoan flag, and the scenery there. I've learnt a lot more about Samoa myself, what was most interesting to me was the dances you've talked about. Have you ever preformed one of these traditional Samoan dances? Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete